Clinton House State Historic Site | Poughkeepsie Dutchess County New York
Early evening over the Bear Mountain Bridge

 Go Back  
Back


Clinton House State Historic Site


Poughkeepsie

Dutchess County


Poughkeepsie Clinton House State Historic Site

845-471-1630
 
Clinton House State Historic Site is located at 549 Main Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12602 in Dutchess County. The Clinton House is an 18th century Georgian stone building, named for George Clinton, who served as the first Governor of New York and fourth Vice-President of the United States.

The vernacular stone house now known as Clinton House State Historic Site was built in 1765. The house was actively utilized from 1777 - 1783 when Poughkeepsie was the capital of New York State and several branches of state government convened in town. After a fire in 1783, General George Washington's New Windsor Cantonment ordered carpenters to rebuild this important structure. In addition to repairs, the house was enlarged and the present stairway was constructed at this time. Clinton House State Historic Site has foundations which are two feet thick. The walls are constructed of rough fieldstone, while the gabled ends are made of wood. It is named in tribute to George Clinton, first governor of New York State, who resided in Poughkeepsie for twenty-one years. Today, with the support of the Dutchess County Historical Society, the site houses archives and a library for local historical research.

Things To Do at Clinton House State Historic Site
Gift Shop
Historic House


Location: Poughkeepsie

Categories
Historic Sites | Historic Hudson Valley Historic Hudson Valley | Poughkeepsie Historic Sites | Dutchess Historic Hudson Valley | Hudson Valley
Historic Sites for Kids Historic Sites for Kids | Poughkeepsie Historic Sites for Kids | Dutchess Historic Sites for Kids | Hudson Valley
Hudson River Towns Hudson River Towns | Poughkeepsie Hudson River Towns | Dutchess Hudson River Towns | Hudson Valley

Looking for something else...
 
Web Hudson-River-Valley.com